- Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
Welterweight prospect Thomas Dulorme will face the most significant opponent of his career, junior welterweights Karim Mayfield and Mauricio Herrera will square off in an even-money fight, and lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez will defend his title.
In other words, there's a little something for everyone on promoter Gary Shaw's Oct. 27 HBO tripleheader, which was formally announced Thursday.
The "Boxing After Dark" card (10:15 p.m. ET/PT), which will take place at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, N.Y., will be headlined by Puerto Rico's Dulorme (16-0, 12 KOs), one of boxing's highest-profile prospects, against Luis Carlos Abregu (33-1, 27 KOs) of Argentina.
In the co-feature, San Francisco's Mayfield (16-0-1, 10 KOs) will face Herrera (18-2, 7 KOs) of Lake Elsinore, in a scheduled 10-round bout. Opening the broadcast, Mexico's Vazquez (31-3, 13 KOs) will make the fourth defense of his 135-pound title against mandatory challenger and countryman Marvin Quintero (25-3, 21 KOs).
"The card is stacked from top to bottom," Shaw said.
The 22-year-old Dulorme, a pro since 2008, is taking a big step up in competition against Abregu, 28, whose only loss came on HBO in 2010 by decision to then-junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr. in a welterweight bout; Bradley later won a welterweight belt title. Dulorme's most notable wins so far are decisions against former junior welterweight titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley and Charlie Navarro.
Dulorme is a dynamic prospect with power and charisma, and HBO has been looking for an opportunity to feature him.
"I am very grateful to Gary Shaw for giving me the opportunity to be fighting on HBO for the first time," Dulorme said of his co-promoter. "This is what every fighter dreams (of), and I am extremely excited to showcase my skills on an international platform.
"Abregu is a good fighter and I know this is a tough fight, so I am preparing thoroughly to be in the best possible shape for fight night. My trainer (Jose) Bonilla and I have been working hard in the gym and we want to dedicate this victory to the people of Puerto Rico. I will fight hard to not disappoint my fellow Puerto Ricans and the entire Latin community."
Since losing to Bradley, Abregu has won four fights in a row by knockout in Argentina.
"Dulorme has never been in the ring with a hard puncher like me," Abregu said. "I will break him down with power shots, something he's never experienced before. A win against Dulorme will put me back on track to fight for a world title. Nothing is going to stop me from coming out victorious."
Mayfield, 31, is coming off his most notable win, a fifth-round knockout of previously undefeated Raymond Serrano on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" in May.
In 2011, Herrera scored his biggest wins on "FNF" when he outpointed prospects Ruslan Provodnikov and Mike Dallas Jr. in mild upsets. Although Herrera, 32, lost a 10-round decision in his last fight in April against Mike Alvarado, it was an all-action slugfest and one of the leading candidates for fight of the year.
"My golden opportunity has finally arrived and I'm not going to let it pass me by," Mayfield said. "I've waited a long time for this opportunity to fight on HBO and I earned everything the hard way, by winning in the ring. Come fight night, Herrera better be ready for a war, because I'm coming out guns blazing."
Said Herrera: "Mayfield is a good fighter, but I believe I have better boxing skills then he does. I've faced the better competition and my experience will guide me to victory. I'll be ready for anything Mayfield brings to the ring."
Shaw, who promotes Quintero, won the promotional rights to Vasquez-Quintero for $50,000 at a recent purse bid. He was the only bidder because of a snafu with the bid made by Top Rank, Vazquez's co-promoter with Zanfer Promotions.
Top Rank's Carl Moretti said the company's bid was sent to the IBF by FedEx, one of the ways a promoter can bid. However, the IBF has moved to new offices in New Jersey and "the address in the system in our office was the old address," Moretti said. "So the bid was sent but it went to the wrong place. Our bid ($125,000) would have been the winning bid. Our bid went to the wrong address but the IBF wouldn't hold up the bid. It was a simple clerical error."
Under Shaw's bid, Vazquez is entitled to 75 percent of the winning offer $37,500 with Quintero getting 25 percent ($12,500).
Despite the small money, the fighters accepted the bout and Vazquez, 25, is looking for his 11th consecutive victory.
"I believe I'm the best lightweight champion in the world," said Vazquez, whose only losses are to Bradley and twice to Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, who went on to win a junior middleweight title. "My only losses have come against the best fighters in the world in higher weight classes. I'm unstoppable at lightweight, and Quintero will realize who the real champion is when we face each other."
Quintero, 25, knocked out Al Sabaupan in the ninth round in April in a title eliminator to earn the shot at Vazquez.
"As a fighter you always dream of becoming a world champion, and my time has come to show the world that I'm for real," he said. "Vazquez is a great champion, but come fight night, I'm going to take his title and end his reign."