Pablo Cesar Cano misses weight
BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- Mexico's Pablo Cesar Cano failed to make weight Friday for his welterweight title challenge of Paulie Malignaggi and is ineligible to win the 147-pound belt at the new Barclays Center on Saturday night.
The fight is one of four world title bouts scheduled on the Golden Boy-promoted card (Showtime at 8 p.m. ET/PT, with preliminaries on Showtime Extreme at 7 p.m. ET/PT), the first boxing event at the $1 billion arena that opened last month.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
Malignaggi, who is from Brooklyn and making his first title defense, was 146.2 pounds, but Cano was 148.2 on his first try. He left the scale and attempted to work off the extra weight over the next hour, but when he returned to weigh in again, he was 147.8.
Robert Diaz of Golden Boy Promotions told ESPN.com that Cano agreed to pay $50,000 (of his $150,000 purse) to Malignaggi -- who will add that to his $350,000 purse -- to agree to go through with the fight. In addition, Diaz said the camps worked out an agreement under which Cano must weigh in again Saturday morning and is not allowed to be more than 157 pounds. If he is heavier, he faces another financial penalty or the possible cancellation of the match.
Cano (25-1-1, 19 KOs), a former interim junior welterweight titlist who is moving up in weight yet still unable to make the weight, cannot win the title. Diaz said he checked with the WBA, the sanctioning organization overseeing the fight, and was told that Malignaggi (31-4, 7 KOs), even if he loses the fight, would not lose the title because Cano is over weight.
There has not been a world title fight in Brooklyn since Aug. 5, 1931, when light heavyweight champion Maxie Rosenbloom outpointed Jimmy Slattery over 15 rounds to retain the title at Ebbets Field.