<
>

Peter Quillin's first defense finalized

Middleweight titleholder "Kid Chocolate" Peter Quillin's first title defense, which will be against Fernando Guerrero on Feb. 9, was made official on Friday.

Golden Boy Promotions announced the addition of the bout to its Showtime card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., which will be headlined by the previously announced fight between unified junior welterweight titleholder Danny Garcia and former titlist and Brooklyn native Zab Judah.

The 29-year-old Quillin (28-0, 20 KOs), who calls Brooklyn his second home, won his version of the 160-pound world title on the inaugural card at the Barclays Center on Oct. 20 by scoring six knockdowns in a unanimous decision victory against Hassan N'Dam of France. Garcia also headlined that card, knocking out Erik Morales in their rematch.

"It's a great feeling to be back in Brooklyn for my first title defense and I am going to give fans what they are looking for again," Quillin said. "The crowd at Barclays Center pushed me to another level last October when I won my title and I can't wait to win for them again on Feb. 9."

Former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor had been considered as an opponent for Quillin before Guerrero (25-1, 19 KOs), a 26-year-old southpaw from Salisbury, Md., got the fight.

"This is the moment every fighter dreams of and I feel like everything is finally aligned for me to win my first world championship on Feb. 9," Guerrero said. "Quillin is an exciting, aggressive fighter like me and we're going to put on a show for the great fans in Brooklyn."

Guerrero was a hot prospect when he ran into former "Contender" reality series winner Grady Brewer and got knocked out in the fourth round in June 2011 in a major upset. Guerrero has rebounded with four consecutive victories against low-level opponents.

The fight between Quillin and Guerrero will mark the first time that adviser Al Haymon has matched two of his fighters against each other.

Golden Boy also announced that Brooklyn middleweight Daniel Jacobs (24-1, 21 KOs), 25, the 2009 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will face an opponent to be determined in a 10-rounder on Showtime Extreme's coverage of the preliminary bouts.

The fight will be Jacobs' third since a cancerous tumor found on his spine nearly killed him and kept him out of the ring for 19 months. He returned on the Oct. 20 Barclays Center card and also won a fight in December.

"It's a special feeling to be able to fight in my home borough again," Jacobs said. "This was an extra-special holiday season for me and my family. To look back on last October when I had the chance to return to the ring and continue my career was an early Christmas present that no one can ever take away from me. My fight on Feb. 9 gives me the opportunity to continue my championship quest."

Also announced for the Showtime Extreme portion of the telecast was a scheduled 10-round junior middleweight bout between Brooklyn's Dmitriy Salita (35-1-1, 18 KOs) and Puerto Rico's Hector Camacho Jr. (54-5-1, 29 KOs), who will be fighting for the first time since the shooting death of his father and Spanish Harlem hero Hector Camacho Sr. in November.

"It is going to be an exciting, but very emotional night for me on Feb. 9 when I fight at Barclays Center," Camacho said. "I am fighting for myself, but it will also be a tribute to my dad, who was loved throughout all of New York. I plan to honor and represent the family name with a win (against) Dmitriy."

Light heavyweight Marcus Browne (2-0, 2 KOs), a 2012 U.S. Olympian from Staten Island, N.Y., will appear on the undercard in a scheduled four-rounder against an opponent to be determined.

"This moment is what I've been waiting for since I first started boxing and I just can't wait to fight," Browne said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity to showcase my skills in front of my fans and make my hometown debut at Barclays Center. Everyone on Staten Island and in New York City has shown me a tremendous amount of support and I'm ready to put on a great show."