<
>

Abraham, Stieglitz set March 23 bout

1/30/2013 - Boxing

Super middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham, who claimed his belt by outpointing Robert Stieglitz, will meet the former titleholder in a rematch on March 23 at GETEC-Arena in Magdeburg, Germany, promoter Sauerland Event announced this week.

Abraham, a former middleweight titlist, outpointed Stieglitz, a native of Russia who now lives in Magdeburg, on Aug. 25 in Berlin to win a 168-pound world title. It was a highly competitive and action-packed fight, which Abraham won by unanimous decision on scores of 116-112, 116-112 and 115-113.

Abraham had previously lost lopsided decisions in super middleweight title fights to Carl Froch in 2010 and Andre Ward in 2011 during the Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament.

Stieglitz had a rematch clause in his contract, but Abraham was permitted to take an optional defense, which he did on Dec. 15, when he stopped Mehdi Bouadla in the eighth round.

"For me it is a question of honor," Abraham said. "Robert was brave enough to face me in my backyard. Now I am traveling to Magdeburg and have to enter the lion's den to fight him."

Stieglitz also took an interim bout, knocking out novice pro Michal Nieroda in the third round in Spain last Saturday.

With the victory, Stieglitz (43-3, 24 KOs), 31, ensured himself of the rematch with Abraham (36-3, 28 KOs), 32, of Germany.

"Somehow I wasn't able to fight to my full potential during my first fight against Arthur," Stieglitz said. "After I suffered cuts, I couldn't get back into it. It just was not my day. But that will not happen again."

Stieglitz won a world title in 2009 by knocking out Karoly Balzsay in the 11th round and made six defenses before losing to Abraham last summer.