Arreola-Stiverne bout rescheduled

Updated: March 6, 2013, 4:09 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

The heavyweight title elimination fight between Cristobal Arreola and Bermane Stiverne -- the winner of which will get a mandatory shot at titleholder Vitali Klitschko -- has been rescheduled for April 27, promoter Dan Goossen told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

The fight was supposed to take place Saturday night at The Hangar at the Orange County Fairgrounds & Event Center in Costa Mesa, Calif. But Arreola came down with bronchitis late last month, and the fight was postponed.

"He's not back in training yet but he's feeling better," Goossen said of Arreola, whom he expects will return to training by the end of the week. "He wants to get rid of the bug entirely but he's happy with the date, and I'm glad it's right around the corner."

Had the fight taken place on Saturday, it would have been part of an HBO-televised split-site tripleheader.

The other two fights, from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., are going on as planned, with light heavyweight titlist Tavoris Cloud defending against former champion Bernard Hopkins in the main event and welterweight prospect Keith Thurman facing former titlist Jan Zaveck in the co-feature.

The rescheduled Arreola-Stiverne bout will also be part of an HBO-televised split-site tripleheader (8:30 p.m. ET/PT).

HBO will open with Arreola-Stiverne from a venue to be determined in the United States, probably Los Angeles, and then air a doubleheader from Buenos Aires, Argentina, where middleweight world champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KOs) -- who has not fought in his home country since 2002 -- will defend against Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11 KOs) of England in a homecoming fight in the main event. In the co-feature, welterweight Luis Carlos Abregu (34-1, 28 KOs) of Argentina will face Antonin Decarie (27-1, 8 KOs) of Montreal.

The venue for Arreola-Stiverne has not been determined, but Goossen, who promotes Arreola, said the fight likely will be in Los Angeles; Arreola is from nearby Riverside, Calif.

"I'm in the process of trying to finalize a site," Goossen said. "But I'm looking to do the fight out here in Los Angeles. It's a great fight for California. I've got three or four places that I've got in mind but nothing concrete yet."

Goossen said he has been in touch with Don King, who promotes Stiverne, as well as HBO to work out the particulars of rescheduling the fight, which was finalized on Tuesday night. HBO confirmed the rescheduling to ESPN.com.

"I spoke to Don. He's aware of everything," Goossen said. "I spoke to the WBC (which is sanctioning the bout). Everyone's been informed. (HBO was) anxious to do the fight in the first place and that didn't wane just because Chris got sick. Once they knew a late April date would work that's what we started to target."

Arreola (35-2, 30 KOs), who turned 32 on Tuesday, will be aiming to land his second world title shot against Klitschko.

As the mandatory challenger in 2009, Arreola faced Klitschko but was stopped in the ninth round of a one-sided fight when his corner threw in the towel. Arreola has not fought since February 2012, in part because an elbow injury forced him to pull out of a fight in June.

Stiverne (22-1-1, 20 KOs), 34, who was born in Haiti and lives in Las Vegas, has not fought since last April.