Former heavyweight titlist David Haye, who was due to face former title challenger Manuel Charr on June 29 at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England, withdrew from the bout on Tuesday, citing a left hand injury.
Haye announced that he suffered the injury on Sunday night "with no option but to postpone" the fight.
"I'm absolutely gutted to have to pull out of this fight on June 29," Haye said. "I pick up injuries now and again in training, and sometimes carry them into fights, but this was one I simply couldn't recover from in time. I need to rest it up for at least four weeks.
"I apologize to Manuel Charr and to everybody involved with the promotion. But most of all I want to say sorry to the thousands of fans who bought tickets to the fight. I felt it was important to let them know about the cancellation as soon as possible, so they can now make other plans. As soon as I am told I can resume full training, my loyal fans will be the first to know."
Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport said that while the main event has been postponed, the rest of the card will go forward on the date but will move to a different venue. The rest of the card includes fights such as a lightweight bout between Gavin Rees and Anthony Crolla and an appearance by featherweight prospect Lee Selby.
Haye (26-2, 24 KOs), 32, of England, signed a four-fight deal with Hearn last month and announced the fight with Charr. It was to be Haye's first fight since last July, when he scored a fifth-round knockout of countryman Dereck Chisora in a heavily hyped fight between bitter rivals.
That was Haye's first fight since he lost his world title by a lopsided decision in a unification bout with champion Wladimir Klitschko in July 2011, a loss Haye blamed on an injured pinkie toe.
Haye, the former cruiserweight champion, won a heavyweight belt via majority decision against Russia's Nikolai Valuev in November 2009 and made two defenses, which were knockout wins against former titlist John Ruiz and British countryman Audley Harrison, before facing Klitschko.
Charr (23-1, 13 KOs), 28, a native of Lebanon who lives in Germany, challenged titleholder Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir's older brother, in September in Moscow and lost by cut-induced fourth-round knockout.