Joan Guzman misses weight, off card
Joan Guzman was booted off a fight card Friday after missing weight for at least the fourth time in his career a day earlier when he came to the weigh-in for his junior welterweight bout an astonishing 8.2 pounds overweight.
Guzman (33-1-1, 20 KOs), a former junior featherweight and junior lightweight titlist, was due to face Vicente Mosquera (32-2-1, 17 KOs) for a vacant interim 140-pound title Friday night in Kissimmee, Fla.
While Mosquera made 140 pounds, Guzman weighed 148.2 pounds, two weight classes above where he was supposed to be. Even if the fight had been a welterweight bout, Guzman still would have been over by 1.2 pounds.
The camps were prepared to go through with the fight with only Mosquera, 33, of Panama, eligible to win the belt and Guzman paying an undisclosed amount of his purse to former junior lightweight titlist Mosquera. Promoter Tuto Zabala Jr. told ESPN.com on Friday morning that he had negotiated a deal with both camps for the fight to go on, but the WBA, the organization whose interim belt was at stake, declined to approve the fight for its belt. Zabala said the only way Mosquera was willing to give the weight difference, besides monetary compensation, was for him to be able to win the belt.
When the fight was not approved, Guzman was dumped from the card and Zabala replaced him with Cosme Rivera (35-16-3, 25 KOs), 36, of Mexico, who will face Mosquera in a 10-round welterweight bout in the main event of the "Boxeo Telemundo" broadcast (11:30 p.m. ET). Zabala said Rivera had been on standby in case of any issues.
"He knew. He was 147," Zabala said. "He is also my fighter and is always ready -- a true warrior."
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
Guzman, 37, of the Dominican Republic, is coming off his only loss in November, when he was unable to continue in the eighth round after hurting his leg on an unintentional foul. It resulted in Guzman losing a technical decision to Khabib Allakhverdiev for a vacant junior welterweight world title.
In March 2010, Guzman famously was nine pounds overweight for a vacant lightweight world title fight in a rematch of a draw with Ali Funeka. While Funeka made the 135-pound limit, Guzman was 144 pounds. The fight went on, Guzman won a split decision, and the title remained vacant.
In December 2010, Guzman missed weight for a second consecutive fight when he was 144 pounds for a bout in Las Vegas against Jason Davis that was contracted at 141 pounds. Guzman won by second-round knockout and then tested positive for the diuretic furosemide, which is often used to assist in weight loss, causing the fight result to be changed to a no-decision. That episode caused Golden Boy Promotions to release Guzman from his contract. He was also fined and suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
In 2008, Guzman was scheduled to challenge lightweight titlist Nate Campbell, but Guzman weighed 138½ pounds. The fight was supposed to go on anyway as a nontitle bout, but the next day Guzman refused to fight and it was canceled. The cancellation forced Campbell, denied his $300,000 purse, into bankruptcy a few weeks later.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Ex-champion Matlala, a Mandela favorite, dies
- Leapai installed as Klitschko's next mandatory
- Stevens, Mchunu returning to ring on Jan. 24
- De La Hoya, Trinidad part of new Hall class