Mayweather not ready to hang 'em up
Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. said on Monday that he might not be done with boxing upon the completion of the 30-month deal with Showtime/CBS that he signed earlier this year for up to six fights.
"After my five more fights, guess what? I think after (getting to) 49-0 we may stay in this sport a little longer. This Sept. 14, it's just another walk in the park," Mayweather said to a crowd of about 5,000 on Monday night at the Alamo in San Antonio during the ninth stop of the nine-day, two-country, 10-city media tour that he is on with fellow junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs), the 22-year-old Mexican sensation.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
They are promoting their Sept. 14 (Showtime PPV) 154-pound unification fight -- easily the year's biggest bout -- at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
When Mayweather (44-0, 26 KOs), who also holds a welterweight world title, signed the deal (worth an estimated $200 million-plus) and began promoting the first fight on the contract -- an easy unanimous decision victory against Robert Guerrero on May 4 -- he said he would walk away from boxing when the contract was up.
"In 30 months my career is over," Mayweather, 36, said at the time. "I want to rack up my six victories and hopefully do commentating and keep the sport of boxing alive. That's what I'm focused on."
He later added, "Well, you know, I only have 30 months left, so I want to just help clean the sport up. After this fight I've got five more fights. That's all I got to do, finish putting them stamps on my legacy."
The Mayweather-Alvarez tour wraps up on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. PT with a news conference open and free to the public at Nokia Plaza L.A. Live in Los Angeles.