The small cut on the right eyelid that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suffered last weekend during a sparring session will postpone his super middleweight fight with Brian Vera for only three weeks.
Top Rank announced on Friday that the fight, originally scheduled for Sept. 7 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, will be pushed back to Sept. 28 and be moved to the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.
The fight will now take place as part of an HBO split-site doubleheader with the telecast opening with the previously scheduled fight between light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson and former titleholder Tavoris Cloud from the Bell Centre in Montreal. Then the action will shift to Southern California for Chavez-Vera.
"It's great that we were able to reschedule this fight in a timely manner," Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said. "It's a testament to the executives of both HBO & AEG [which owns the Staples Center and StubHub Center] to make this happen. Their professionalism in matters as such is unparalleled.
"Chavez-Vera should be an excellent fight in the ring. I know Vera has a big chip on his shoulder with the complications in getting this fight put together. Junior better bring his A-game to the ring that night."
Said Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions, which promotes Vera (23-6, 14 KOs), "We are happy that after Chavez suffered the injury that the fight could be rescheduled so quickly. Brian has been training hard and has been thinking about this fight for the better part of six months. We know he will put on a great show and that this is a great opportunity for him."
The co-feature on Sept. 7 was scheduled to be a showdown between undefeated American Olympians Vanes Martirosyan (33-0-1, 21 KOs) and Demetrius Andrade (19-0, 13 KOs) for a vacant junior middleweight belt.
Banner Promotions, Andrade's co-promoter, erroneously announced that the fight would also be moving to the Sept. 28 card at the StubHub Center.
But the fight will not take place then. Instead, Andrade-Martirosyan will -- according to HBO and Top Rank, Martirosyan's promoter and the promoter of the fight -- take place Nov. 9 at a site to be determined.
HBO plans to expand that night's Top Rank card into a tripleheader with Andrade-Martirosyan opening a show that is supposed to also feature 2012 fighter of the year Nonito Donaire, the former three-division titleholder, and former featherweight titlist Miguel Angel "Mikey" Garcia in separate bouts.
Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) will be fighting for the first time since last September, when he lost a lopsided decision and his belt to lineal 160-pound world champion Sergio Martinez, whom he knocked down and nearly stopped in the dramatic 12th round at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
After the fight, Chavez tested positive for marijuana and served a nine-month suspension. In addition, he was fined $900,000 of his $3 million purse as a second-time offender under the drug policy of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but the fine was later reduced to $100,000 in a settlement with the commission after he threatened to sue over the size of the fine.