Braehmer to face Marcus Oliveira
European light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer of Germany will face American Marcus Oliveira for a vacant light heavyweight world title on Dec. 14, Braehmer promoter Sauerland Event announced on Monday.
The bout will take place at the Jahnsportforum in Neubrandenburg, Germany.
"That's great," Braehmer said of the bout being in Neubrandenburg. "Although I have never stepped inside the ring in Neubrandenburg as a pro before, I heard about the times when [former middleweight titlist] Sebastian Sylvester fought here. The people are very enthusiastic and it is well known that there is always a chance of a sold-out house. I hope to get the same kind of support as Sylvester and that the crowd will push me to another world title."
Braehmer held a version of the 175-pound world title from 2009-10 and made one defense before being stripped for not making a mandatory defense. Braehmer was out of the ring for nearly two years before returning in January 2012.
The 35-year-old Braehmer (41-2, 31 KOs) won the European title for the second time last February by outpointing Eduard Gutknecht and has made two defenses.
Now Braehmer, a southpaw, will face Oliveira (25-0-1, 20 KOs) for a secondary world title after Beibut Shumenov was reclassified as a "super" titleholder.
"This will be a tough challenge against an undefeated KO puncher in Oliveira," said promoter Kalle Sauerland, who was able to make a deal with Oliveira's promoter, Don King, in order to avoid a purse bid. "Still, our goal was to guide Juergen to another world championship and we are confident he will make Germany proud."
Oliveira, 34,is coming off an upset 11th-round knockout win against previously undefeated Ryan Coyne on April 12.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Abdusalamov progress 'very small' year later
- O'Connor scores knockout in homecoming
- Trout-Grajeda set for Dec. 11 ESPN special
- Stevenson settles for fight against Sukhotsky