Mendez, Barthelemy to fight

Updated: October 22, 2013, 4:33 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Junior lightweight titlist Argenis Mendez and mandatory challenger Rances Barthelemy are due to meet within 90 days after Barthelemy promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing won a purse bid on Tuesday to gain promotional rights to the bout.

Margules, who promotes Barthelemy, was the lone bidder at the IBF offices in Springfield, N.J., offering $51,000. The minimum bid was $50,000. Mike Tyson's Iron Mike Productions, which promotes Mendez, surprisingly was a no-show and did not offer a bid.

Margules will now look for a venue and television outlet to handle the bout, but he was surprised that Iron Mike Productions did not bid.

"I got a call from them a while back about making a deal with me before there was going to be a purse bid," Margules said. "They made me an offer and it was a good offer. I said the number [of dollars] was fine but I needed to know when and where the fight would be and I needed a certain amount of [plane tickets for] travel and then I never heard back from them.

"But I like my guy's chances. Barthelemy can win. I think it's a good fight, two top 130 pounders."

As the titleholder, Mendez is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($38,250) while Barthelemy is entitled to the remaining 25 percent ($12,750).

Mendez (21-2-1, 11 KOs), 27, of Dominican Republic, won the title in March. He knocked out Juan Carlos Salgado in the fourth round. In his first defense, Mendez retained the belt, escaping with a majority draw against Arash Usmanee on Aug. 23.

Barthelemy (19-0, 12 KOs), 27, a Cuba defector living in Miami, knocked out Fahsai Sakkreerin of Thailand in the second round in a June 21 title elimination fight in Minneapolis to earn the mandatory shot against Mendez.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.