Jorge Arce to fight Jose Carmona
Jorge Arce, a popular Mexican brawler who is ending a retirement that lasted less than a year, will face late substitute opponent Jose Carmona of Colombia in his comeback fight, Zanfer Promotions announced Tuesday.
Arce, who has won world titles in four weight classes and an interim title in a fifth division, will face Carmona in a scheduled 10-round featherweight Saturday night in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
Arce was originally scheduled to fight Brazil's William Prado, who dropped out after being involved in a motorcycle accident, according to Zanfer Promotions' Sean Gibbons.
Last week, Zanfer announced that Arce would face replacement Giovanni Caro of Mexico. However, the announcement was made before the contract was signed and, according to Gibbons, Caro elected not to go through with the fight.
Now it is the 24-year-old Carmona (22-3, 12 KOs), who will face the 34-year-old Arce (61-7-2, 46 KOs) and seems like a more dangerous opponent than either Prado or Caro.
Carmona is younger than both of them and has won four fights in a row since a second-round knockout loss to Andres Gutierrez, an unbeaten rising featherweight contender, in February.
Arce, who has been a pro for 17 years and been in numerous brutal fights, has not fought since Dec. 15, when he was dropped three times in a devastating third-round knockout loss in a world title fight against then-junior featherweight titleholder Nonito Donaire at the Toyota Center in Houston.
After the bout Arce announced his retirement in the ring.
"It took me a long time to analyze the situation," Arce said. "I feel that my body is still responding well and with the support of my family and my promoter [Zanfer's Fernando Beltran], I have decided to give it one more chance."
Arce, who won world titles at junior flyweight, junior bantamweight, bantamweight and junior featherweight, plus an interim title at flyweight, said he wants to pursue a title at featherweight and hopes to eventually challenge one of his countrymen for their 126-pound belts, either Jhonny Gonzalez or Orlando Salido.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- NSAC elects Bennett as executive director
- Golden Boy wins bid for Russell-Lomachenko
- Pascal stays with longtime promoter Michel
- Titleholder Garcia files suit against Top Rank