>

Jocks to GIs: Brad Faxon

See previous e-mail between Brad Faxon and Lee Yarbrough:

April 2-4 | April 5 | April 6-7 | April 8-12 | April 13-16 | April 17-20

Sent: Saturday, May 3, 2003 12:23 PM
To: Brad Faxon
Subject: RE: Lee

Hi Brad,

Well it is official; I am leaving here and will be in Georgia this Tuesday!!! I am so ready to go, not because of what is going on here, but because of what is going on in Georgia. Need to help Anita get ready for the baby, need to prepare the house to sell, and need to play some GOLF!!

Unlike RI, I expect mid 80's for my first round in 120 days. This will be one of the last emails I will write you using this forum. After this I will contact you via the address that Dory and Anita are using, if that is alright with you.

I have such mixed emotions right now. Part of me would gladly stay until the last man is out and safely home with his family, but the other part knows I have done what was expected of me and more. It is time to move on and prepare for the next chapter in the book called my career.

I would sincerely like to thank all the people at ESPN."Jocks to GI's" for offering such a wonderful program. I can almost guarantee that our paths probably would have never crossed otherwise, and I know for sure that we would never have cultivated such an awesome friendship.
I can only hope that in future conflicts that other GI's have the opportunity to be associated with a Jock that is half the man you are.

Brad, you are truly a patriot. Even though you were not here directly dropping bombs or flying combat missions you were here in spirit. Via our correspondence you provided support, inspired hope, and showed all the world exactly what type of person Brad Faxon is. I know I have have said "thank you", too you many times in the past, but I must tell you one last time ...Thank you! Thank you for your friendship, insight, and understanding. You are a good friend and a good man ...

Sincerely, your friend,

Lee Yarbrough

Sent: Friday, May 2, 2003 3:22 AM

Hi Brad,

We have all kinds of redeployment rumors running wild and the boss has scheduled a meeting at 1830 (6:30pm) and I think he might tell us we are leaving the first part of next week. Keep your fingers crossed!!

This was a quote I read once that stated "I don't mind the combat, but war is hell". I think that best describes my experience over here. I consider myself a truly patriotic person and I very seldom complain about my tasking or the orders of those appointed above me. Although rewarding, the entire "war" experience is trying. There are too many unknown variables in the equation. One must be flexible yet strong under pressure. Fatigue is the wildcard in the equation that can not be overlooked. Peoples emotions are also incredibly altered during a prolonged stay in a combat zone. It really is fascinating to watch how people deal with the different aspects of being here. Some crumble and are truly not capable of leading. Others run out of patience quickly and want immediate results, even when they may not have all the facts. Still others, may have information that could assist a certain individual, but they sit back and let that person flail to teach them a lesson. While others truly shine as they have been rehearsing their entire life just for this moment. It was an interesting time being here and being a part of this operation. I have grown much as a person. My friendship with you also helped me considerably. Being able to come and email you and learn about you truly took me away from this place for a short while. As I told Jim, I felt we had an immediate connection with you immediately putting me at ease.

Once I find out when we are leaving for sure, I will drop you an email. Hope Dory and all the girls are doing well, and I also hope spring finally makes an appearance in RI...

Lee

Sent: Thursday, May 1, 2003 9:26 PM
To: Lee Yarbrough 363 EACCS/CREW310

Hey Lee,

Doesn't feel like May here. Another 55 degree day with more rain. Melanie had a lacrosse game and the wind chill had to be in the 40's. Little Charlotte loves being outside and she was yelling "go go Mel" in her little language. I wanted to hit balls today, but no way.

It is supposed to be OK tomorrow and I am going to play RICC which is my home course about a mile away. It is the course where we play the CVS Charity Classic. Have you seen that on TV? It is a two day event in June on a Mon-Tues with 10 two-man teams. Freddie Couples committed as has David Toms and Nick Price and a bunch of great guys and players. We get a great field every year and the guys seem to love it.

I guess you got bad news and good news today. At least you know you will be leaving soon and hopefully you can get to Tampa before the baby is born. I would think that you would love living there and there has to be more golf courses to get on in Tampa. There is a great men's club there called Old Memorial, it was started by Chris Sullivan the guy that founded the Outback Steakhouses. You need to play that, just don't tell Martha Burk!

Have you got a timetable for when you are getting back? Anita must be dying to see you. I will have Dory email her. President Bush addressed the nation from a carrier tonight saying that the war is over. He was very proud of all the armed forces and Rumsfeld has been singing the praises of all of you as well.

Unless I have a bad memory, I don't think I ever asked you what your rank is? Are they keeping you behind because you are helping with some of the younger guys? You must be closing in on 20 years of service.

The Celtics beat the Pacers in the first round of the playoffs tonight. Every series seems to be going to a 6th game. The Minnesota Wild play the Lakers again in game 6. Lakers are ahead 3 to 2 in that one. The NFL draft ended a few days ago with lots of defenders being taken in the first round. If you live in Tampa you will have to be a Bucs fan. I love John Gruden. That is a great place to watch a game.

You take care of yourself and imagine being able to hit balls everyday when you get home!

Keep us posted!

Your friend,

Brad

Sent: Thursday, May 1, 2003 1:53 AM

Hi Brad,

Happy May Day! How was you trip? Relaxing I am sure. When does spring start up there? It is 100 and windy every day here. Feels exactly what I think the inside of a convection oven must feel like.

We began sending our first wave of troops back, unfortunately I was not one of them. The senior leadership is aware of my situation but I believe they wanted me to remain behind and ensure the first wave got out OK. Although it was painful to watch them leave, I can only hope I will not be far behind. Anita has almost hit her wall, I really need to get home and give that woman a big hug.

I got news I am being reassigned in July. I am going to Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force base in Tampa, Florida. We are so very excited about the move. We are hoping our house sells quickly so we can relocate prior to Jane's birth. Plus, you guys play a lot more tournaments in Florida than you do in Georgia so I will get to watch play more often.

I am so looking forward to teeing it up when I get back. Right now is an awesome time for golf in middle Georgia. The weather is about 80 with a slight breeze. You talk to your boys at Titleist about that 983K? Don't forget me Brad....LOL

When are you heading to North Carolina? This is the first year for the Wachovia right? You can be the inaugural champion. Have you ever been the inaugural champion of a PGA tournament? That would be pretty cool.

Glad you are back and in the routine. Hope to hear from you soon. Ask Dory if she gets a chance to drop Anita an email as she is really bummed right now and a friendly email would do wonders.

Lee

Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 7:30 AM
To: Lee Yarbrough 363 EACCS/CREW310

Hey Lee,

Sorry about the missed couple of days on the email. We have all the girls with us and this weekend we had a sleepover with 5 14-year-olds and the driving around of all the kids. Very fun, but not much time to do much. The weather is still terrible and I have not hit a shot in RI this year! The forecast is getting better, but today (Sunday) is the day Dory and I take a three day trip to the Berkshires for a little R and R. We rarely get time alone either at home or on the road and the few days together go along way. We will get back on Wednesday and, hopefully, I will get a chance to practice before we head to Charlotte for a new tournament called the Wachovia. The bank signed a 4 year deal and the purse is $5.6 million this year! The Tour has done an unbelievable job in this economy of getting title sponsors to replace the ones we lost. We have such a good image and brand that many companies like to align themselves with golf.

My never settle friend, Ted, had a birthday party last night for his wife Lisa at his house down the road. A bunch of our friends were there and are reading our emails. It is inspiring them all and they all send their best. I can't imagine what you are doing to make the time go by. Are you still in Saudi Arabia? How hot is it? Are you in danger where you guys are now? We saw the big bombing in Baghdad yesterday. I can't believe all the anti-American sentiment over there. It is so frustrating to see that we are trying to liberate them and they think we are the enemy. This is a long road going over there.

Lee, your attitude is unreal. Not many people would think like you after all you have been through. Keep that mindset and know that you have to be determined and persistent and very patient. We will definitely say our prayers today at church. The entire congregation is praying for everyone over there. You would be excited to know how so many feel over here.

What part of CT will you be in? The furthest part of the state is about 3 hours so hopefully we could hook up. You would love RI and there are a couple very good golf courses and you and I could take on any two that would be silly enough to think they could beat us! I would love to get you over to the Titleist test sight to get fitted and put you on the computer! You would never want to leave!

Dory and I take off in a few hours and I am not sure I will have access to email. If I don't, keep up the great attitude and write me anyway. I will look forward to the next email and talking to you soon. It is also nice to see Dory and Anita emailing each other.

There was an article in the Providence Jounal this morning about an American Pilot named Capt. Speicher that was shot down and supposedly killed in 1991, but now they are saying they think he may be a prisoner and they have seen his initials in a wall of a prison in Baghdad. Have you heard of this?

Keep the faith and never settle my friend.

You are on our minds.

Brad

Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 2:52 AM
Subject: Lee

Good morning Mr. Faxon,

How are you and yours doing? Well I hope. Things here are OK, had a rough
couple of days emotionally, but am rounding the corner for better times.
Sometimes it is just very difficult to stay focused, motivated as well as
positive. But it is during times like this when we must dig deep and find
out who we really are. These are the times when leaders are born.

Guess it is kind of like that on the golf course at times; things are not
going well, you press and get down then at some point you must either climb
out of the hole or let it consume you. I think you and I are very similar
in the fact we will climb out of the hole, we just can't throw the towel in
and settle for second best (never settle).

The middle of next month is now my target date for returning to the States,
or as we refer to it here "the world". Once I return home I plan to take at
least three weeks off and assimilate myself back into society. I was hoping
to get back while Anita was still in school so I could play and practice at
the golf course all day, but if school is out when I get back then I will be
with her, which is a GOOD thing.

There is a chance I will be in Connecticut for my niece's graduation. My
daughter Samantha who lives in England, might be with me as well. If your
schedule permits, we might swing by for a quick "hello". Details to follow.

Well, hope your trip is going well and I can't wait for you to get back and
on tour as I really enjoy watching you on TV.

Your friend,

Lee