Jose Abreu out of walking boot
CHICAGO -- White Sox rookie first baseman Jose Abreu continued to make progress with his injured left ankle, participating in baseball activities before Monday's afternoon game against the Cleveland Indians.
No longer wearing a protective walking boot, Abreu took 25-30 ground balls at first base, played catch with coach Joe McEwing for 10 minutes and hit balls off a tee in the indoor batting cage. He has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 18.
Abreu did not speak to reporters afterward, but interpreter Lino Diaz said that the team's home-run leader felt no discomfort.
"It's progressing, it's getting better," manager Robin Ventura said. "I know he's not happy sitting on the bench. Even if he had been in a cast, he still wouldn't be happy [just because] he's out of it. It's getting better though. The timeline right now is still the same."
The White Sox are confident that Abreu will be ready when he's eligible to come off the disabled list June 2, when the White Sox open a three-game series at the Los Angeles Dodgers. If Abreu can return then, it would set up a head-to-head matchup of sorts against fellow Cuba native Yasiel Puig of the Dodgers.
Despite his downtime, Abreu's 15 home runs were second most in baseball at the start of play Monday to Baltimore's Nelson Cruz (16). Abreu's 42 RBIs were tied with Detroit's' Miguel Cabrera for third most in baseball, trailing only Cruz (44) and the Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton (47).
Abreu set major league rookie records for home runs (10) and RBIs (32) before May 1 and was named both player of the month and rookie of the month in the American League for March/April. He signed a six-year, $68 million contract in the offseason.