CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox haven't made a long-term contract offer to starter John Danks recently because they were rebuffed after multiple attempts not that long ago, a source told ESPNChicago.com Thursday.
The stalemate has increased the possibility that Danks could be traded, but indications are that the White Sox have not lost faith that a deal could be worked out with their left-hander.
With the possibility that Mark Buehrle will sign elsewhere and the sense that Danks is being aimed toward free agency next winter (he has one more year of arbitration remaining), the White Sox are keen on establishing some roster certainty moving forward.
General manager Kenny Williams said that some of his players have drawn considerable interest from other clubs, and Danks is believed to be high on that list.
Danks could get between $7 million and $8 million on a one-year deal through arbitration this offseason. With Buehrle about to make up to $14 million a season on the free-agent market, a pitcher with Danks' ability and experience at half the price would be considered a steal.
Because it's not a deep free-agent class for starting pitching this offseason, Danks could wind up pulling in an impressive package of players in a trade, including a starting pitcher with tons of upside. By trading Carlos Quentin to free up right field for Dayan Viciedo, the White Sox could land another haul of impressive young talent.
Williams gave indications at the general manager's meetings last month that the White Sox have a tentative plan to go toward youth in some areas, but had not yet committed to a direction for the offseason.
Call it a mini youth movement, though, because Paul Konerko isn't expected to be moved, and Adam Dunn and Alex Rios are just about impossible to move unless the White Sox eat a major portion of their contracts. A.J. Pierzynski is under contract for one more season and has the right to block a trade.
Doug Padilla covers the White Sox for ESPNChicago.com.