Source: CPD interviews Starlin Castro

Updated: January 13, 2012, 5:53 PM ET
ESPNChicago.com

Chicago Cubs All-Star shortstop Starlin Castro was questioned by Chicago police for seven hours Thursday night and into Friday morning over allegations of sexual assault, a source familiar with the situation told ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine.

A woman accused Castro, 21, of sexual assault last fall, but no charges have been filed and Castro's representatives deny the allegation.

Castro
Castro

Castro and his attorney Michael Gillespie met with police late Thursday evening at the Belmont Area Headquarters. In addition to Castro, police interviewed witnesses from the nightclub where the alleged victim met Castro, according to a source.

When reached by ESPNChicago.com, Chicago police spokesman Robert Perez would not confirm that Castro had been interviewed, per department policy, but he did say that "he's not under arrest."

Castro returned to Chicago on Wednesday for the first time since the season ended on Sept. 30, according to WBBM Newsradio in Chicago.

Castro will attend the Cubs Convention later Friday at the Chicago Hilton and Towers and be part of the opening ceremonies as well as an autograph session on Saturday, but will not take part in the media social on Friday, according to a source.

"I personally, and through my attorneys, have fully cooperated with the police in this matter," Castro said in a statement on Friday. "Unfortunately I cannot address the matter further at this time while the investigation is taking place. I understand that being a member of the Cubs means being a hard worker on the field and a good citizen off the field, and I always want to carry myself in a way that exceeds high expectations."

WBBM reported that the unidentified woman, who is in her 20s, was at a River North nightclub Sept. 29 when she met Castro. After 3 a.m. CT, she went with a friend to his apartment, where she alleges that the assault took place.

The woman went to a hospital the next evening and police became involved, while Castro left for his offseason in the Dominican Republic, according to the report.

"I just preach patience," Chicago Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said Friday at the Cubs Convention. "That's the approach we're taking. We need to wait and see how the facts develop before we can comment on it too much. You don't want to jump to conclusions until the facts are in."

Jay K. Reisinger and Gillespie, attorneys for Castro, issued a strongly worded statement when the allegations were made public last week.

"We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro," the statement says. "We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further."

In his second year in the big leagues, Castro made his first All-Star team last season, batting .307 with 10 home runs, 66 RBIs and a league-leading 207 hits.

ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine contributed to this report.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

ALSO SEE

MORE MLB HEADLINES