The Chicago Police Department said Thursday the investigation into sexual assault allegations against Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro is ongoing, and Cubs owner Tom Ricketts said he hopes the matter is resolved "shortly."
"I really can't comment on any of Starlin's stuff," Ricketts said Thursday on "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000. "I think you just have to refer back to his statements and our statements, and we just hope it's behind us shortly."
Authorities interviewed Castro on Jan. 12. WBBM reported that the accuser, a woman in her 20s, was at a River North nightclub Sept. 29 when she met Castro. After 3 a.m. CT, she went with a friend to his apartment, where she alleges that an assault took place.
Castro denied the allegations through his representatives, and he has not been arrested.
"We just hope it gets resolved as quickly as possible and everybody moves forward," Ricketts said during the Cubs Convention in January.
Castro, who turned 22 on March 24, became the youngest player in history to lead the National League in hits with 207 last season and was selected to the All-Star team.
The Cubs, who open the season Thursday against the Washington Nationals, held a workout Wednesday at Wrigley, but Castro did not address the media.
"He's one of the best young players in the game," Ricketts said Thursday. "I saw him down in the Dominican over the winter, he worked really hard. He's feeling great.
"If he can come out and pick up where he left off last year and keep progressing, you project a 21-year-old guy who had his kind of numbers, and that's a Hall of Fame type ... that's as good as it gets. And very few players can produce at the age he's producing.
"I think he's going to be a star for many years to come, and we're excited ... he's working with (manager Dale Sveum) on defense this year, hopefully he picks up where he left off on hitting. He's getting stronger, growing into his body, a little more routine around him. He's doing really well. He'll have a great year."