Source: Marmol plans to be on time

Updated: February 6, 2013, 5:11 PM ET
ESPNChicago.com

Chicago Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol plans to be in spring training camp on time despite a domestic abuse allegation in the Dominican Republic that he denies, a source told ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine.

Cubs president Theo Epstein said he believes that Marmol will be cleared of the accusations and will not face a problem entering the United States.

"He'll be ready to go [for spring training]," Epstein said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "Obviously we take any type of accusation like that seriously. We've done some looking into it. Every bit of information we've received from the Dominican shows that Carlos is going to be cleared, and we'll have this behind him by the time he meets the media the first day of spring training.

"So, very encouraging what we've heard so far. And we'll continue to take it seriously and continue to look into it, but also give Carlos the support he needs to get through this. And we expect him to have no problems getting into the States and reporting for spring training on time."

Voluntary report days for Cubs pitchers are Sunday and Monday, and the first workout is Tuesday.

Marmol had 20 saves and a 3.42 ERA in his seventh season with the Cubs. He was almost traded to the Angels in the offseason, but the deal fell through. The 30-year-old is entering the final season of a three-year, $20 million contract and could be trade bait again as the Cubs rebuild.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.