"There really is nothing new," Angelo said in the Ford Field press box on Monday. "We did what I consider our very best. I know they tried as well. We weren't able to get it accomplished. He was our No. 1 goal, we spent a lot of time in the preseason trying to get it done. Right now, our focus is on the season.
"I've been through a few of these, and when you take these into the season, it's not good for anybody. I'm not saying we can't get it done, I'm not saying that, but right now our focus is on the season."
ESPNChicago.com previously reported the Bears' best offer to Forte maxed out at between $13 million to $14 million in guarantees.
Entering Monday night, Forte was second in the NFL with 634 yards from scrimmage. He rushed for 205 yards in the Bears' 34-29 victory over Carolina in Week 4. The running back has been the one consistent threat for the Bears on offense. Not only is he the club's top rusher, he also entered Monday leading the team with 26 receptions for 310 yards.
Angelo was asked if he thought Forte's attitude would be affected the longer the extension talks go nowhere.
"I trust Matt," Angelo said. "We have a few players who have been open about their situations. I understand that. But we anticipated Matt having a great season like he's having, so that's why we did what we did. I don't want that message to get lost, that we were trying to do something before we felt Matt was going to do be good. The reason we went to Matt, is because he was good. No more than that."
Jeff Dickerson covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.