Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith said he has spoken to Matt Forte since the running back's angry reaction to the signing of Michael Bush. While Smith didn't say the situation had been resolved, he seemed confident that it would be.
"We love him, he's going to rush for a lot of yards for us," Smith told ESPN's Rachel Nichols. "It's going to work out fine."
After the Bears signed Bush, an Oakland Raiders free agent, on Thursday, Forte took to the internet to voice his displeasure that his own contract extension hasn't been completed yet.
"There's only so many times a man that has done everything he's been asked to do can be disrespected!" read a post on Forte's Twitter account early Thursday afternoon. "Guess the GOOD GUYS do finish last ..."
He later clarified, "for the record I'm not mad at the signing of another running back. This is 4th time that's happened. I embrace competition as well as help." He added, "But as for not taking care of ur own and undervaluing a player under his market value is another story! #twitterrant"
Bush signed a four-year contract worth up to $14 million, including $7 million in guaranteed money, according to a source.
Forte recently was designated the club's franchise player as the sides continue to work on a long-term deal. The signing of Bush could be viewed as somewhat of an insurance policy for the Bears in the event Forte decides to hold out. The sides have until July 16 to come to an agreement on a multiyear extension. After that date, Forte must play under the tag, which comes with a salary of $7.74 million.