There's an enhanced sense of optimism among Chicago Bears fans following the additions of Brandon Marshall, Michael Bush and others, but quarterback Jay Cutler isn't ready to celebrate offseason moves just yet.
"The offensive line is definitely going to be a concern, seeing where those guys fit in, and seeing what five we go with," Cutler said Monday. "If Gabe (Carimi) comes back (from knee surgery), if J'Marcus (Webb) pans out, Chris Williams, where are we going to put him at?
"There are some question marks there. Until we really get that resolved and get our front five settled in, we have some work to do on the offense."
Since joining the Bears before the 2009 season, Cutler has been sacked 110 times in 41 regular-season games. His 52 sacks in 2010 were a league high, and he was sacked 23 times last year in just 10 games before a thumb injury ended his season.
Cutler was asked if a new, simpler offense under Mike Tice, who replaces Mike Martz as offensive coordinator, will help.
"It helps, it helps, but it's not a cure-all, by any means," Cutler said. "They're going to be asked to protect.
"There are going to be times when it's third-and-8, third-and-10, we're going to have to take seven steps, we're going to have to have a longer route, and they're going to have to protect. It's definitely going to help them, moving in the pocket, getting rid of the ball quick. They're not going to be under the stress game in and game out they were last year. But on the flip side, there are still going to be times when they have to do their job."