Jermaine Thomas ineligible for bowl
Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said Wednesday Thomas did not pass one of his classes during the fall semester. Thomas was the only player on the roster who is academically ineligible for the Dec. 29 game against Notre Dame, Fisher said.
Thomas was Florida State's second-leading rusher in 2011, gaining 279 yards and a touchdown. He averaged 4.6 yards per carry.
Without Thomas, Florida State will likely lean more on freshman Devonta Freeman, who has 531 rushing yards and eight touchdowns. Either freshman James Wilder Jr. (150 rushing yards) or senior Ty Jones (71 rushing yards) should see increased playing time.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Florida State Seminoles Garnet Hypercool 3.0 Performance T-shirt