Jermaine Thomas ineligible for bowl
Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said Wednesday Thomas did not pass one of his classes during the fall semester. Thomas was the only player on the roster who is academically ineligible for the Dec. 29 game against Notre Dame, Fisher said.
Thomas was Florida State's second-leading rusher in 2011, gaining 279 yards and a touchdown. He averaged 4.6 yards per carry.
Without Thomas, Florida State will likely lean more on freshman Devonta Freeman, who has 531 rushing yards and eight touchdowns. Either freshman James Wilder Jr. (150 rushing yards) or senior Ty Jones (71 rushing yards) should see increased playing time.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
- Fitzgerald: Union push 'unified' Northwestern
- Giving back: Beadles donates $750K to Utes
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Florida State Seminoles Black BCS 2013 National Champions Ice Full-Zip Pullover