Jordan Matthews sets SEC record
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Jordan Matthews has set the Southeastern Conference record for career receptions.
Matthews' 4-yard reception late in the first quarter Saturday against Tennessee gave him 237 career catches to break Earl Bennett's record of 236 receptions for Vanderbilt from 2005-07. Matthews entered the night with 233 career receptions.
Matthews already had set the SEC record for career yards receiving in an Oct. 26 loss to Texas A&M. His record-breaking catch Saturday increased his career yardage total to 3,386. That record was previously held by Terrence Edwards, who accumulated 3,093 yards receiving for Georgia from 1999-2002.
Matthews, a 6-foot-3 senior from Madison, Ala., entered Saturday with 83 catches for 1,076 yards and five touchdowns this season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Briles on Fisher's critique: Worry about ACC
- FSU coach explains why Winston unpunished
- Source: Vols, WVU to open '18 in Charlotte
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Vanderbilt Commodores 2014 Football Schedule Black T-Shirt