Nebraska bans DE Avery Moss

Updated: January 27, 2014, 5:28 PM ET
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com

Nebraska sophomore defensive end Avery Moss will not play for the Cornhuskers in 2014 and has received a one-year ban from campus stemming from a public indecency conviction.

Moss pleaded no contest Monday to one count of public indecency. He had been charged with exposing himself to a campus convenience store worker in 2012.

He'll be sentenced March 28.

University spokesman Steve Smith said Moss is not enrolled and has been banned from the Lincoln campus through Dec. 31. Smith said he couldn't disclose the reason for Moss' ban because of privacy laws.

Moss said he originally was banned from entering residence halls last fall as a result of the public indecency charge. He lived off-campus. He said he thought he could enter residence halls again at the end of the fall semester last month, and he did so. But he said officials told him the ban had not been lifted at that point, and it was extended to cover the entire campus.

"Miscommunication, a procedural thing," Moss said.

Moss said he looked into transferring but would prefer to re-enroll in 2015, finish his degree in psychology and resume his football career.

"I have complete faith in God, and He would not put a test in front of me that I can't handle. This is another test I feel I'll get through," Moss told The Associated Press. "For everybody else, I want them to know that we all make mistakes. I've learned from my mistake and seek to become a better man. I won't let this bump in the road stop me."

Moss, who is from Tempe, Ariz., declined to say where or how he planned to spend the next year. He said he's going through counseling "so there is no re-enactment of anything I've been in trouble for."

Moss said he must meet with university administrators later this year to ask to be allowed to return for the 2015 spring semester.

"I'm trying my best to come back to Nebraska," he said.

Athletic department spokesman Keith Mann referred questions, including a request for comment from coach Bo Pelini, to Smith. Messages also were left with UNL police chief Owen Yardley and dean of students Matthew Hecker.

The 6-foot-3, 265-pounder started three games for Nebraska as a redshirt freshman, registering 36 tackles, eight tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He did not accompany the team on its trip to the Gator Bowl, where Nebraska beat Georgia 24-19.

The loss of Moss diminishes the Huskers' depth on the defensive line, which returns one regular starter in All-Big Ten end Randy Gregory. Part-time starters Aaron Curry and Vincent Valentine will be back, as will Maliek Collins, who made his first start in the bowl. The Huskers lost a verbal commitment from prized junior college recruit Terrell Clinkscales, who switched his pledge to Kansas State.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.