<
>

Jon Semerene given boot by Hurricanes

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Kickoff specialist Jon Semerene was dismissed from Miami's football team Friday, hours after he was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.

The 20-year-old Semerene was being held Friday night on $2,000 bond, according to Miami-Dade jail records.

In a statement released by the university, Miami coach Mark Richt -- who did not specifically address the arrest -- said he consulted with athletic director Blake James before making the decision to remove Semerene from the roster.

"I have decided to dismiss Jon Semerene from our football team for conduct detrimental to the team and to others," Richt said. "We expect all of our student-athletes to represent our university and The U family in a first-class and safe manner. While he is no longer part of our program, we will do all we can to help him as he moves forward in his life."

Semerene is the third Hurricane to be arrested since last week. Trevor Darling and Jahair Jones, both offensive linemen, were arrested together on March 10 on a misdemeanor charge of "resisting officer without violence," according to the Miami Herald.

Semerene handled 64 of Miami's 77 kickoffs as a sophomore last season, with 26 of those going for touchbacks. The other kickoffs were handled by placekicker Michael Badgley and punter Justin Vogel, both of whom would be options to handle the job again this fall.

Semerene did not play for Miami in 2014 as a freshman. He's a native of nearby Weston.

The Hurricanes' third practice of the spring season is Saturday.

Information from The Associated Press was included in this report.