Coordinator Everett Withers promoted
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina has promoted defensive coordinator Everett Withers to interim head coach.
The school announced the move in a statement Thursday night, one day after Butch Davis was fired amid an NCAA investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct in the program.
Chancellor Holden Thorp says Withers "is the right person for our football program under these challenging circumstances."
Withers is a Charlotte native who has been the Tar Heels' defensive coordinator and secondary coach for three seasons.
The school says it will amend his contract for this season to reflect his new responsibilities and will begin searching for another assistant to complete the staff.
The coaching upheaval comes roughly a week before the Tar Heels begin preseason practice.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's North Carolina Tar Heels Coaches Performance White Polo