Eltoro Freeman ineligible for opener
Auburn senior linebacker Eltoro Freeman was ruled ineligible for Saturday's season opener against Utah State because of an "administrative oversight" in his eligibility process, the university announced Saturday.
"I hate it for Eltoro that this occurred because this is on Auburn," Tigers coach Gene Chizik said in a statement.
Freeman was declared ineligible by the NCAA for the game, but the school said he is expected to be available for next week's game against Mississippi State.
Freeman was listed as a second-team middle linebacker. In 2010, he appeared in 12 games for the Tigers with five starts, registering 37 tackles, with four for losses and a sack. Freeman has started 12 games at Auburn.
Edward Aschoff covers the SEC for ESPN.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Texas hires search committee for new coach
- Irish charming recruits with 'Pots of Gold'
- Huskies investigate alleged recruiting violations
- Florida, Michigan to kick off '17 in Arlington
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Youth Auburn Tigers White #44 Replica Football Jersey