Badgers dismiss Jake Irwin from team
MADISON, Wis. -- Wisconsin has dismissed defensive lineman Jake Irwin from the team after he was arrested in connection with an incident outside a campus gym last week.
Wisconsin-Madison police say Irwin was arrested for two counts of disorderly conduct and two counts of battery for his role in an altercation that took place in the early-morning hours of Sept. 1. Police say Irwin was struck in the head with a rock and needed treatment for his injuries. Another man also was arrested.
The redshirt freshman was not involved in fall practices. Coach Bret Bielema said Irwin had been serving a suspension, then was dismissed after "an incident that occurred late last week."
Wisconsin also announced that tight end Brock DeCicco has transferred from Pittsburgh. He can't play this season and will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lawsuit challenges NCAA amateur model
- Wisconsin recruit charged with sexual assault
- Alcohol sales not planned at Michigan Stadium
- Police wrongly identify UF's Debose as attacker
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Wisconsin Badgers Red 2013 Football Schedule T-Shirt