Wisconsin's Devin Smith out for season
Wisconsin starting cornerback Devin Smith will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing foot surgery Monday.
Smith injured his left foot late in the first quarter of Wisconsin's 35-0 victory Saturday against Oregon State. Badgers coach Bret Bielema said Tuesday that Smith will use a redshirt this season and return as a fifth-year senior in 2012.
Smith started all 13 games in 2009, recording 55 tackles and 11 passes defended, before moving into a reserve role last season. The senior started the first two games this year.
Junior Marcus Cromartie relieved Smith in Saturday's game and will start this week against Northern Illinois. Cromartie has appeared in 13 career games with Wisconsin.
Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Paterno to have new statue in State College
- Ex-BC player charged in homeless man attack
- Carter latest TCU player arrested for drugs
- Swinney: We welcome players of all faith
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Wisconsin Badgers Red Fifth Quarter T-Shirt