Alabama's Will Lowery out for season
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama safety Will Lowery is out for the season with a torn knee ligament.
Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said Sunday that Lowery has a torn ACL and will have surgery.
Saban says Lowery "has been a very good player for us and an outstanding person in terms of his contributions to the team and the program."
Lowery was hurt Saturday against Georgia Southern. He has 20 tackles on defense and special teams.
He tweeted, "It was a great run, and I look forward to helping this team finish this thing off right in" New Orleans for either the Sugar Bowl or national championship game.
The Tide finishes the regular season Saturday at Auburn and still is in the mix for both Southeastern Conference and BCS titles.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- CFP officials won't budge on semis, title dates
- Arkansas' Long re-elected as CFP chairman
- Vandy rape trial jurors begin deliberations
- UNC, Wake Forest agree to non-ACC series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Alabama Crimson Tide #3 Crimson Football Game Jersey