Source: Memphis to hire Justin Fuente
Memphis will announce TCU co-offensive coordinator Justin Fuente as its new coach Thursday, a source close to the situation said.
Fuente, 35, started at TCU in 2007 as the running backs coach and was promoted to his current position and quarterbacks coach in 2009.
He previously served as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at Illinois State. Fuente played quarterback for Oklahoma and later tranferred to Murray State.
"He's a good, young coach on a really good offensive staff," TCU coach Gary Patterson said late Wednesday night. "He will work very hard trying to get them on the road to where they want to be."
Fuente will replace Larry Porter, who was fired after two seasons in which the Tigers went 3-21.
Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN. Information from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan was used in this report.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Joeckel to transfer from A&M to TCU
- Mankato players to play for reinstated coach
- Saban hosts Peyton in visit of 'mutual benefit'
- Sources: Adidas inks Louisville to $40M deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings TCU Horned Frogs Signature Series Full-Size Logo Football