New CyHawk Trophy revealed
DES MOINES, Iowa -- The new trophy for the winner of the Iowa-Iowa State football game will depict the team's mascots after a public vote.
Fans had been asked to submit ideas for a new trophy after the original -- which depicted a farm family huddled around a bushel of corn -- was derided locally and nationally after being unveiled last summer.
The Iowa Corn Growers Association, which sponsors the rivalry, worked with a local design firm to come up with six concepts. A 10-person panel with ties to the two schools selected three finalists to be put to an online vote that ended late Monday.
The winning design finished with 8,002 votes, while the other two designs combined for just 2,280.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Buckeyes' Meyer admits being 'awful loser'
- Spartans' Dantonio shrugs off rumor mill
- Clowney says he's healthy, ready to move on
- Jackson St. fires coach after 8-1 SWAC record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Iowa State Cyclones Signature Series Full-Size Football