Gary Pinkel defends Joe Paterno
HOOVER, Ala. -- Missouri coach Gary Pinkel says he thinks it is "wrong" to place sole blame for the Penn State tragedy on former coach Joe Paterno.
Talking with reporters at Southeastern Conference Media Days on Tuesday, Pinkel was quoted as saying, "You can't take away the greatness of this man. He was a great man, and you can't, however you analyze this, all of a sudden erase all that this guy's done. You can't do that. Nobody can do that."
Pinkel said Paterno was a friend who he got to know professionally. He added that it was a "tragic situation ... involving children" and that "I'm sure maybe if (Paterno) could do it over again he would (have) followed up a few things."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Two vie for A&M QB job as Joeckel to transfer
- Kentucky QB battle heats up as Whitlow exits
- Mankato players refuse to practice for old coach
- More trouble: 3 Texas A&M players arrested
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Missouri Tigers Black Speed Legend Long Sleeve Performance Shirt