Brian Blechen suspended 3 games
SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah officials say defensive playmaker Brian Blechen has been suspended three games for violating undisclosed team rules.
Coach Kyle Whittingham announced the suspension on Monday but says Blechen will be allowed to practice with the team.
The junior safety will miss the Aug. 30 opener against Northern Colorado plus the Utah State game on Sept. 7, and the Sept. 15 matchup with rival Brigham Young.
Blechen had three interceptions and three forced fumbles last season -- Utah's first in the Pac-12 Conference. He blocked a field goal against California, had two interceptions and seven tackles against Montana State, and forced fumbles against USC, UCLA and Colorado.
In his first college game in 2010, he intercepted a pass on the first play of overtime to set up Utah's upset of Pittsburgh.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
- McCarron: Feel like I'm best QB in the draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Youth Utah Utes Crimson 'Light 'Em Up' Tech Performance T-Shirt