John Sawhill won't play for Iowa
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Iowa defensive lineman John Sawhill is leaving the team because of an injury during preseason practice.
Coach Kirk Ferentz said late Thursday that the senior joined the program earlier this summer after playing for Drake while he earned his bachelor's degree.
Ferentz says Sawhill had complications from a prior injury and decided to skip his remaining year of eligibility.
Iowa opens the season on Sept. 1 against Northern Illinois at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Iowa Hawkeyes Coaches Performance Black Polo