John Sawhill won't play for Iowa
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Iowa defensive lineman John Sawhill is leaving the team because of an injury during preseason practice.
Coach Kirk Ferentz said late Thursday that the senior joined the program earlier this summer after playing for Drake while he earned his bachelor's degree.
Ferentz says Sawhill had complications from a prior injury and decided to skip his remaining year of eligibility.
Iowa opens the season on Sept. 1 against Northern Illinois at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QBs fail to impress in Alabama spring game
- Texas LB Edmond: Loss to 'trash' Baylor hurts
- Sources: Wittek visits Texas for spring game
- Strong era begins at Texas with shaky QB play
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Iowa Hawkeyes Football Practice Legend Black T-Shirt