IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Iowa defensive lineman John Sawhill is leaving the team because of an injury during preseason practice.
Coach Kirk Ferentz said late Thursday that the senior joined the program earlier this summer after playing for Drake while he earned his bachelor's degree.
Ferentz says Sawhill had complications from a prior injury and decided to skip his remaining year of eligibility.
Iowa opens the season on Sept. 1 against Northern Illinois at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Iowa Hawkeyes Football Mat
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider