Gamecocks shelve corner, tailback
South Carolina cornerback Akeem Auguste and running back Shon Carson, both of whom were sidelined early last year with season-ending injuries, were shelved indefinitely again Monday after undergoing surgeries for injuries suffered last week.
Auguste, one of the Gamecocks' projected starters at cornerback, tore a muscle in his right thigh during a scrimmage Saturday and will be re-evaluated by a doctor in four to five weeks, the team said in a news release.
Auguste missed all of last season with a foot injury. He had been moved back to cornerback after playing safety for one season, in 2010.
Carson, a redshirt freshman limited to two games in 2011, underwent a procedure to his left wrist Monday morning after sustaining the injury in practice Friday.
Carson ran for nine yards on three carries before going down with the knee injury.
The Gamecocks, ranked ninth in both preseason polls, open their season Aug. 30 at Vanderbilt.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QBs fail to impress in Alabama spring game
- Texas LB Edmond: Loss to 'trash' Baylor hurts
- Sources: Wittek visits Texas for spring game
- Strong era begins at Texas with shaky QB play
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's South Carolina Gamecocks #7 White Replica Football Jersey