Ohio State reinstates Storm Klein
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The punishment isn't over yet, but Storm Klein's absence from Ohio State officially has ended.
After a charge of domestic violence was dismissed and the senior linebacker pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct on Wednesday, Klein's status was re-evaluated by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer on Thursday.
Klein will continue to face discipline that includes a minimum two-game suspension. But he is again a member of the team after missing a month of offseason workouts and all of training camp this month.
The former starter at middle linebacker had been dismissed after his arrest on July 6.
"As I had indicated previously, if there are changes in the charges against Storm, I would re-evaluate his status," Meyer said in a school release. "The charges that would have violated our core values have been totally dismissed.
"I have spoken extensively to members of both families and that has prompted me to reassess his situation and allow him back."
Klein's return ultimately could add depth to one of the thinnest positions on the Ohio State roster, though he already had lost his starting job in spring practice and missed valuable practice time after Meyer suspended him shortly after the arrest when he allegedly "violently and purposefully" grabbed a woman with whom he shares a child.
A trial had been postponed until Sept. 24, but according to information presented by Klein's lawyer in Franklin County Municipal Court, the woman "wanted the charges dropped" and said that Klein "didn't hit her, didn't intend to hurt her."
An agreement was reached with an assault charge changed to disorderly conduct, opening a door for Meyer to allow Klein to resume his career with the Buckeyes after his suspension is lifted.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida St., Auburn set for BCS title game
- Boise State interviews Falcons OC Koetter
- Huskies' Petersen: Time for new challenge
- Report: Ducks suspend TE for snowball mob