Michigan takes 2 off suspension

Updated: September 4, 2012, 7:10 PM ET
By Michael Rothstein | WolverineNation

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Both Michigan starting running back Fitzgerald Toussaint and defensive end Frank Clark will play against the Air Force Falcons on Saturday, Michigan coach Brady Hoke said Monday.

Both Toussaint, who gained 1,041 yards last season, and Clark had been suspended for the No. 8 Wolverines' season-opening 41-14 loss to No. 2 Alabama.

"They are both going to play this week," Hoke said.

"It was tough," Toussaint said Tuesday in his first public comments since the arrest. "I respect the coaches' decision but I feel like I let my team down and taking things day by day to improve on that."

At the time, Hoke had called it a one-game suspension, however the legal issues that got them suspended were separate.

Toussaint pleaded guilty last Tuesday to operating while visually impaired, a lesser charge than his initial operating while intoxicated charge. He is scheduled to be sentenced in October.

"I made a bad decision," Toussaint said. "I let my team down. I wasn't accountable and I wasn't trustworthy."

Clark's case remained unresolved publicly Monday.

He has been charged with second-degree home invasion, a felony in Michigan, after allegedly taking a MacBook Air laptop from a Stockwell Hall dormitory room.

"He's paid a lot of consequences internally," Hoke said of deciding to play Clark.

When asked to further explain how he came to the decision -- Clark is scheduled to be in court again on Sept. 11 on the charges -- the coach did not delve too much into specifics of his decision.

Clark, a sophomore, is listed as a backup to starting defensive end Jibreel Black on the depth chart.

"I don't need to take you through the process," Hoke said. "I just resolved it."

Michael Rothstein | email

ESPN Detroit Lions reporter

ALSO SEE