Connor Shaw not starting
Dylan Thompson, who played in the ninth-ranked Gamecocks' season-opening 17-13 win against Vanderbilt when Shaw was injured, will start Saturday. Thompson failed to complete any of his three passes and rushed for four yards on five carries against Vanderbilt.
Shaw, who practiced sparingly during the week, will dress against East Carolina but Spurrier is hoping he doesn't have to play the junior, a source told ESPN.com's Chris Low.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings East Carolina Pirates Game Time Full-Size Football