Connor Shaw not starting
Dylan Thompson, who played in the ninth-ranked Gamecocks' season-opening 17-13 win against Vanderbilt when Shaw was injured, will start Saturday. Thompson failed to complete any of his three passes and rushed for four yards on five carries against Vanderbilt.
Shaw, who practiced sparingly during the week, will dress against East Carolina but Spurrier is hoping he doesn't have to play the junior, a source told ESPN.com's Chris Low.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Texas hires search committee for new coach
- UW looking into alleged recruiting violations
- Sun Devils promote Norvell to deputy HC
- Bowling Green hires EIU's Babers as coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Youth South Carolina Gamecocks #7 Garnet Replica Football Jersey