Connor Shaw not starting
Dylan Thompson, who played in the ninth-ranked Gamecocks' season-opening 17-13 win against Vanderbilt when Shaw was injured, will start Saturday. Thompson failed to complete any of his three passes and rushed for four yards on five carries against Vanderbilt.
Shaw, who practiced sparingly during the week, will dress against East Carolina but Spurrier is hoping he doesn't have to play the junior, a source told ESPN.com's Chris Low.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns dismiss 2 for violating team rules
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings East Carolina Pirates Youth-Sized Hail Mary Rubber Football