Connor Shaw not starting
Dylan Thompson, who played in the ninth-ranked Gamecocks' season-opening 17-13 win against Vanderbilt when Shaw was injured, will start Saturday. Thompson failed to complete any of his three passes and rushed for four yards on five carries against Vanderbilt.
Shaw, who practiced sparingly during the week, will dress against East Carolina but Spurrier is hoping he doesn't have to play the junior, a source told ESPN.com's Chris Low.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Squirrel-hunting Winston held at gunpoint in '12
- Source: Longhorns reinstate safety Turner
- Stanford WR Montgomery rehabbing shoulder
- OU RB banned from team amid investigation
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt East Carolina Pirates Mini Authentic Football Helmet