Spencer Benton hits 61-yard FG
CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson punter Spencer Benton set an Atlantic Coast Conference record when he connected on a 61-yard field goal against Ball State on Saturday.
Benton's kick snuck through the goalposts as time ran out in the opening half and gave the Tigers a 45-10 lead. The kick surpassed the 2007 mark of 60 yards set by Florida State's Gary Cismesia against Florida.
Benton's field goal also moved him past Obed Ariri and Chris Gardocki for the longest in school history.
Ariri, who kicked for Tampa Bay and Washington in the NFL, established the previous mark of 57 yards against Wake Forest in 1977. Gardocki was a longtime NFL punter who won a Super Bowl with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He tied Ariri's kick against Appalachian State in 1990.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QBs fail to impress in Alabama spring game
- Texas LB Edmond: Loss to 'trash' Baylor hurts
- Sources: Wittek visits Texas for spring game
- Strong era begins at Texas with shaky QB play
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Clemson Tigers Hail Mary Youth-Size Football