UK's Maxwell Smith out indefinitely
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky sophomore quarterback Maxwell Smith is out indefinitely with a torn left ankle ligament that will require surgery.
Smith injured his ankle on the second play of Saturday night's 38-17 loss to South Carolina. He had missed the previous game at Florida with a separated shoulder.
Wildcats coach Joker Phillips said Monday that he will seek a medical hardship for Smith if he cannot return this season.
Whitlow relieved Smith and was 12 of 23 passing for 114 yards, running for a touchdown as Kentucky led 17-7 at halftime. He was intercepted twice and sacked six times as the Gamecocks rallied with 31 unanswered points.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Texas AD: Union push 'smells' of attorneys
- Saban hosts Peyton in visit of 'mutual benefit'
- Source: Joeckel to transfer from A&M to TCU
- Mankato players to play for reinstated coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Kentucky Wildcats Mini Rubber Football