UK's Maxwell Smith out indefinitely
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky sophomore quarterback Maxwell Smith is out indefinitely with a torn left ankle ligament that will require surgery.
Smith injured his ankle on the second play of Saturday night's 38-17 loss to South Carolina. He had missed the previous game at Florida with a separated shoulder.
Wildcats coach Joker Phillips said Monday that he will seek a medical hardship for Smith if he cannot return this season.
Whitlow relieved Smith and was 12 of 23 passing for 114 yards, running for a touchdown as Kentucky led 17-7 at halftime. He was intercepted twice and sacked six times as the Gamecocks rallied with 31 unanswered points.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU starts No. 1 in preseason coaches' poll
- Fired OSU band director was trying to fix culture
- Seminoles' Wilson pleads no contest to theft
- Source: Longhorns reinstate safety Turner
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt Kentucky Wildcats Mini Football Helmet