Chris Dunkley banned after arrest
TAMPA, Fla. -- The University of South Florida has suspended sophomore wide receiver Chris Dunkley from the football team after he was arrested and charged with domestic battery.
USF coach Skip Holtz announced the 21-year-old's indefinite suspension in a statement Sunday.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office reports that Dunkley was arrested Saturday night, several hours after the Bulls lost to Florida State 30-17.
Authorities say the arrest was the result of a Sept. 21 argument that turned physical between Dunkley and his girlfriend, with whom he shared an off-campus apartment. The girlfriend filed a complaint with deputies Saturday, less than an hour before the game.
Dunkley was released from jail Monday morning. Jail records didn't list an attorney.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- Buckeyes' Miller throwing ahead of schedule
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings South Florida Bulls Signature Series Full-Size Football