WR Ty Montgomery unlikely to play
Stanford coach David Shaw said it was unlikely that sophomore Ty Montgomery would play against the Irish because of a lower-body injury.
Montgomery, who has caught 18 passes for 168 yards, was injured during Stanford's wild 54-48 overtime victory over Arizona last weekend.
Montgomery had a breakout game in Stanford's 56-48 triple-overtime win over Southern California last season. He played in all 13 games and started the last four. He's also Stanford's top kickoff returner and recorded a 96-yard kickoff return against Washington last year.
Senior receiver Jamal-Rashad Patterson is expected to make his first college start in Montgomery's place.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA prez Emmert: Food rule was 'absurd'
- NCAA proposes hardship transfers sit 1 year
- Texas AD: Union push 'smells' of attorneys
- Broncos' visits to Bama catch NFL's attention
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-Shirt