Gene Chizik's mother, Rita, dies
AUBURN, Ala. -- The mother of Auburn coach Gene Chizik has passed away.
Auburn spokesman Kirk Sampson said Rita Chizik passed away early Monday morning. He didn't have any other details.
Sampson said the family appreciates the support and prayers and asked that "everyone respect the family's privacy during this difficult time."
The Tigers don't practice on Mondays. It has already been a trying season for Chizik and Auburn.
The Tigers' 1-6 start is the program's worst since losing seven of their first eight games in 1952. They host No. 22 Texas A&M Saturday night.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Four QBs, two RBs named Heisman finalists
- Ducks suspend TE Brown for snowball fight
- Wake Forest hires coach Clawson of BGSU
- Clowney gets ticket for driving 110 in S.C.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Youth Auburn Tigers White #10 Replica Football Jersey