Gene Chizik's mother, Rita, dies
AUBURN, Ala. -- The mother of Auburn coach Gene Chizik has passed away.
Auburn spokesman Kirk Sampson said Rita Chizik passed away early Monday morning. He didn't have any other details.
Sampson said the family appreciates the support and prayers and asked that "everyone respect the family's privacy during this difficult time."
The Tigers don't practice on Mondays. It has already been a trying season for Chizik and Auburn.
The Tigers' 1-6 start is the program's worst since losing seven of their first eight games in 1952. They host No. 22 Texas A&M Saturday night.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ohio St. turns to 'meticulous' Barrett at QB
- Volcano threatens Penn State's Ireland opener
- Kent State's Bitsko, 21, found dead in bed
- Clemson RB Brooks (foot) to miss season
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Auburn Tigers Navy Sec Champions Tiger Football Long Sleeve T-shirt