Gene Chizik's mother, Rita, dies
AUBURN, Ala. -- The mother of Auburn coach Gene Chizik has passed away.
Auburn spokesman Kirk Sampson said Rita Chizik passed away early Monday morning. He didn't have any other details.
Sampson said the family appreciates the support and prayers and asked that "everyone respect the family's privacy during this difficult time."
The Tigers don't practice on Mondays. It has already been a trying season for Chizik and Auburn.
The Tigers' 1-6 start is the program's worst since losing seven of their first eight games in 1952. They host No. 22 Texas A&M Saturday night.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Paterno to have new statue in State College
- Ex-BC player charged in homeless man attack
- Carter latest TCU player arrested for drugs
- Swinney: We welcome players of all faith
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Auburn Tigers Blue BCS National Championship Bound Ice Full-Zip Jacket