Pitt player dismissed after incident
PITTSBURGH -- Pitt coach Paul Chryst has dismissed redshirt freshman defensive back Stephen Williams from the team for disciplinary reasons two days after he was charged with assaulting a woman who said she was his girlfriend.
Police say the woman flagged down officers Saturday about 2 a.m. They say she had marks on her chest and claimed her hair and an earring had been ripped out. Police say the 19-year-old Williams denied assaulting the woman or that she was his girlfriend but that he did acknowledge shoving her after she sought police help.
Williams faces a preliminary hearing in Pittsburgh Municipal Court on Thursday on a misdemeanor charge of simple assault. Online court records don't list an attorney for Williams, and he did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment Monday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU's Wilson suspended after arrest for theft
- FSU's Winston to face media at ACC Kickoff
- Hall of Fame set to open Aug. 23 in Atlanta
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Pitt Panthers Hail Mary Youth-Size Football