Matt McGloin wins Burlsworth Award
SPRINGDALE, Ark. -- Penn State quarterback Matt McGloin has won the Burlsworth Award, given to the top college football player who began his career as a walk-on.
McGloin helped the Nittany Lions to an 8-4 record this season, setting school records for yards passing (3,266) and touchdowns (24) in a season. The senior also holds the school mark for career passing touchdowns (46).
The West Scranton (Pa.) native's only scholarship offer out of high school was from Lehigh. He helped Penn State win eight of its final 10 games this season, throwing for at least 200 yards and a touchdown in all 12 games.
The award is named for former Arkansas offensive lineman Brandon Burlsworth.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns dismiss 2 for violating team rules
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Penn State Nittany Lions Blue Coaches Performance Polo