Big East unveils 2013 schedule
The Big East released its home-and-away football schedules for the 2013 season on Tuesday, and most notably, the league has departing members Rutgers and Louisville taking trips to Boise State.
The 2013 season will be the first to feature a 12-team Big East format and two divisions, with new members Boise State, San Diego State, UCF, SMU, Houston and Memphis. But it is another lame-duck year for the conference, because Rutgers and Louisville have announced intentions to join other leagues -- Rutgers to the Big Ten, and Louisville to the ACC.
Their departure dates are up in the air, pending a resolution with the league. Rutgers already has filed a lawsuit against the Big East to get out of the required 27-month waiting period.
Among the other notable highlights of next season's conference schedule:
• Cincinnati and SMU take trips to both sides of the country for games against San Diego State and South Florida. USF and UCF do not have to take a trip out West, as neither plays at Boise State or San Diego State.
• Boise State gets Houston, Louisville, Memphis and Rutgers at home, but must travel to Cincinnati, San Diego State, SMU and Temple. That gives the Broncos two trips into the Eastern time zone.
• As for Louisville -- again expected to be the preseason favorite -- the Cardinals get UCF, Memphis and San Diego State at home. Rutgers must play at Boise State and Louisville, while Memphis is the only other school that must play those two teams on the road.
"Our new home-and-away matchups for football in 2013 will create an exciting, competitive, and compelling season, culminating in our first-ever Big East Championship Game," conference commissioner Mike Aresco said in a statement.
The home/away breakdown of the Big East schedule:
Home: UConn, Houston, Rutgers, USF. Away: Cincinnati, Louisville, SMU, Temple
Home: Boise State, UCF, UConn, Louisville. Away: Memphis, Rutgers, San Diego State, USF
Home: Louisville, Rutgers, San Diego State, USF. Away: UCF, Cincinnati, SMU, Temple
Home: UCF, Memphis, Rutgers, San Diego State. Away: Boise State, Cincinnati, UConn, USF
Home: Cincinnati, Houston, USF, Temple. Away: Boise State, UCF, UConn, Louisville
Home: Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, SMU. Away: UCF, UConn, Houston, Rutgers
Home: Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Rutgers. Away: Cincinnati, San Diego State, SMU, Temple
Home: Memphis, San Diego State, SMU, USF. Away: Boise State, UCF, Rutgers, Temple
Home: Cincinnati, San Diego State, SMU, Temple. Away: Boise State, Houston, Louisville, USF
San Diego State
Home: Boise State, Cincinnati, SMU, Temple. Away: UConn, Houston, Louisville, Memphis
Home: Boise State, UCF, UConn, Temple. Away: Houston, Memphis, San Diego State, USF
Home: Boise State, Houston, UCF, UConn. Away: Memphis, Rutgers, San Diego State, SMU
ESPN college football reporter Brett McMurphy contributed to this report.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Rutgers Scarlet Knights Coaches Performance Scarlet Polo
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider