Michael Rocco headed to Richmond
Richmond coach Danny Rocco announced Monday that his nephew is joining the Spiders next season. Two other transfers -- wide receiver Shane Savage from Cornell and tight end Sean Fitzpatrick from North Carolina -- have also transferred to Richmond.
Rocco played in 30 games over three seasons at Virginia and threw for 4,731 yards and 27 touchdowns with 24 interceptions.
He had said in December that he intended to transfer. Rocco shared the starting QB job with Phillip Sims, a transfer from Alabama.
Because Rocco only has one season of eligibility remaining, the NCAA mandates that he sit out a season, but Richmond plans to petition the NCAA for a waiver that would allow him to play this season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns dismiss 2 for violating team rules
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Virginia Cavaliers Blue #83 Football Game Jersey