Sam Cooper, Chad Kelly tore ACLs
Clemson starting tight end Sam Cooper and backup quarterback Chad Kelly each tore anterior crucial ligaments in their knees during the Tigers' spring game this past weekend, the school announced Monday.
The news on Kelly confirmed what coach Dabo Swinney said after the game Saturday. But at that time, Swinney did not believe Cooper to be injured as seriously. Further tests revealed the tear. Now, the Tigers go into 2013 short at both positions.
There is no timetable yet for their return.
"This is very difficult for both players," Swinney said in a statement. "Both had really worked hard and done well this spring. As far as Sam Cooper is concerned, this was certainly going to be his time at tight end. We have had quite a run of production at tight end the last few years with Michael Palmer, Dwayne Allen and Brandon Ford."
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Clemson Tigers Grey Football Practice Legend T-shirt