ECU extends McNeill through 2017
GREENVILLE, N.C. -- East Carolina has given football coach Ruffin McNeill a contract extension through the 2017 season.
The school announced McNeill's new deal Monday.
The extension will pay him a total of $1.15 million plus incentives. His base salary was raised from $200,000 to $400,000.
The 54-year-old McNeill is 19-19 in three seasons at his alma mater and has guided the Pirates to two bowls.
East Carolina is leaving Conference USA for the American Athletic Conference in 2014, and new athletic director Jeff Compher says the extension shows the school's confidence in McNeill.
His previous 5-year contract was to expire after the 2014 season. The new deal runs through June 30, 2018.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lawsuit challenges NCAA amateur model
- Alcohol sales not planned at Michigan Stadium
- Longhorns dismiss 2 for violating team rules
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt East Carolina Pirates Mini Authentic Football Helmet